Addiction Treatment Near Richmond, VA (804) 499-3013
Addiction is a terrible problem that impacts approximately one in every 10 people. When using drugs or alcohol at a high rate becomes part of your life, it can be very hard to change even you want to. Without addiction treatment in Richmond, many people would still be addicts who are healthy today.
No matter what kind of drugs you have been using or how much you drink at any given time, Richmond Drug Rehab Centers is available to help you. There's simply no one too sick to benefit from proper addiction treatment.
Keep reading to learn more about addiction treatment and how it can help put you back on the right path.
What Is Addiction?
Addiction is something that is often hard to understand, even for addicts who are experiencing it. The truth is that there's no one-size-fits-all description of addiction. What you are dealing with is different than what anybody else is dealing with.
However, there are some common patterns related to addiction that can help define the concept. Common signs that you may be dealing with an addiction that could require professional addiction treatment in Richmond include:
- You are unable to stop drinking or using drugs even when you try to do so. Many addicts try to quit and find that they simply can't without professional help. It isn't a matter of willpower when you're dealing with a disease that is at least partly out of your control.
- You continue drinking or using drugs even after bad things happen to you. Many addicts experience negative consequences related to drinking or using drugs, but continue to abuse them anyway. This is because of an emotional and physical addiction to the substance.
- Your professional or school life has suffered because of your substance abuse. Many people find it very hard to maintain an addiction while working or going to school. Unfortunately, it's work and school that often suffer because of drinking or drug abuse.
- You are in trouble financially. Many people find they make poor financial decisions because of alcohol and drug use. Others may need to spend a great deal of their money simply to buy alcohol or drugs to feel normal once a physical addiction takes hold.
- Your personal life has suffered tremendously because of your drinking or drug abuse. Many friends and family members don't want to be around abusers, so they terminate these relationships. Using alcohol and drugs heavily may also lead you to say or do things that hurt others around you.
Why Does One Become an Addict?
Addiction is a complicated issue and there is no one reason a person becomes an addict. Common reasons that an individual may develop an addiction in their life include:
- Childhood abuse or trauma. Negative experiences as a childlike sexual, emotional or physical abuse increase your chances of becoming addicted to drugs or alcohol as an adult.
- Depression or anxiety. Individuals dealing with these mental health issues often self-medicate to feel better. It generally backfires and makes the problem worse over time.
- Bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. These mental health disorders have the highest rate of drug and alcohol abuse. Many addicts dealing with these mental health disorders self-medicate, which can help them feel better at first. Over time, addiction can make these mental health disorders worse.
Why Should I Enter an Addiction Treatment Center?
Entering professional treatment programs like rehab can be frightening, but for many people, they are the starting point to a major change in their lives. The process of going through drug rehabs in Richmond may never be easy or perfect, but it is something that you can handle.
Countless people have turned their lives around with the help of professional addiction treatment in Richmond. Through aftercare programs, they've remained clean and sober for many years.
You deserve to be the healthy, happy person you want to be. Reach out for professional addiction treatment in Richmond today so you can start to change your life for the better.